A wood cutting board adds value to your kitchen; beautiful and handy. It serves you with different chopping purposes. While a lot of people buy it, in reality, it is a very easy task making a wood cutting board by yourself for your kitchen.
- Precisely cut hardwood board (maple, walnut or cherry)
- 150 and 220 grit sandpaper
- Food-grade mineral oil
- Clean rags
- Wood Glue
Steps: Follow these easy steps-
- Hardwood board often comes in rough condition. So, flatten them using a block plane by removing a small amount of wood until the hardwood sat without any wobble.
- Cut the hardwood according to your cutting board size. If you need more than one board, then after cutting joint them using a wood glue. Then flatten them again with a thickness planer
- Making a handle gives an extra advantage to your cutting board. Simply create a hole using a 1’ drilling tool.
- A cutting board needs to be glossy or else it remains a mere piece of wood. As the board is already flattened, so start with a 150 grit sandpaper. The pass covers in the same way and then use 220 grit sandpaper and repeat the process until you get a satisfactory glossiness.
- Rough edges are party spoiler. Ensure to make them round using either a sandpaper or a router with a charmer fit. Additionally, using a block planer will do the job too.
- To avoid swelling and a fuzzy-surface feeling it is essential to raise grains of the board. You can use a wet towel or denatured alcohol to make the board wet. Then put it aside until it gets fully dry and then apply a 220 grit sandpaper to raise the grains.
- Apply food grade mineral oil over the surface to protect the wood from water. Apply oil and let it dry overnight. Repeat the process several times.
These are the steps to follow to make a perfect wood cutting board for your kitchen.
When stick has dried, expel the cutting board from braces. Rub off any overabundance dried paste delicately with an etch. Utilizing an orbital sander fitted with an 80-coarseness sanding cushion, sand the two sides of the board and edges to mollify corners. Continue sanding process with 120-coarseness, at that point 220-coarseness sandpaper. Ensure all gotten paste is sanded dry surface preceding wrapping up. Rub whole cutting board with a few layers of a nourishment safe complete like mineral oil, walnut oil or beeswax, enabling oil to retain into the wood completely. Enable slicing board to dry medium-term before use.
Tip: As with most sustenance safe completes, the slicing board complete should be reapplied frequently. On the off chance that giving this board as a blessing, likewise, present the beneficiary with a container of oil as a sidekick blessing alongside consideration directions.